Do you know that 1 out of 4 men and 1 out of 5 women today are suffering from hypertension? The problem mainly comes from work load, excess stress, poor diet & lifestyle, and overthinking which leads to major health issues including heart attack and stroke.
One of the major step towards the control of high blood pressure is regular blood pressure monitoring. In this article, I will discuss one of the most popular blood pressure monitors in the industry today, i.e. OMRON HEM 7120 Fully Automatic Digital Blood Pressure Monitor. It is a fully automatic blood pressure monitor with advanced intellisense technology that measures your blood pressure with just a simple one touch method. It works on the Oscillometric principle and measures systolic pressure, diastolic pressure and heartbeat precisely without grumble.
In this digital era, everything’s coming up with new developing trending technology. Omron’s HEM-7120 blood pressure machine is truly a successful model considering its demand in the market. OMRON is no doubt one of the leading marketing brands of healthcare units. With advanced features such as easy One-Tap operation, Intellisense Technology and body movement detection, this model has become the table topper and worth every penny.
- Fully automatic and accurate
- Body movement detection
- Hypertension indicator
- Irregular heartbeat detection
- Enhanced Intellisense technology
- Easy to use, comfortable and hassle free setup
- Highly recommended for semi-old people who need to monitor daily BP
- Easily portable
OMRON HEM 7120 BP Monitor Review
OMRON’s HEM-7120 Fully Automatic Digital Blood Pressure Monitor is a fully automatic upper arm blood pressure monitoring system, operating on oscillometric principle. It measures not only your blood pressure but also the pulse rate. By using the advanced Intellisense Technology, this product comfortably controls the cuff inflation and it also doesn’t need to set pressure pre-setting or re-inflation.
The best thing of this product is that even a slight movement can show a change in pressure, which results in the most accurate measurement.
This product also detects irregular heartbeat along with blood pressure and as it is featured with body movement indicator and hypertension indicator, it helps you keep an eye on cardiovascular health.
Omron HEM-7120 BP monitoring machine, is one of the best OMRON has ever produced and customers do agree with it. Here are some of the top features that makes it a highly demanding BP model –
Size & Portability
The dimension of this BP machine is 12*12*16 cm and has a weight of about 250 gm without the batteries. Regardless of the Intellisense Technology chip, the designer has given it a sleek design, which is very handy to use and also portable and easy to carry.
Accuracy is one of the most concerning things and has to be when it comes to health issues. In most machines, blood pressure readings may be inaccurate in 5% to 15% of the cases, but talking about HEM-7120, the error rate is less by some extent as compared to the other machines. Apart from this, if an irregular heartbeat symbol flashes on the display while measuring the blood pressure, it indicates that the blood pressure is out of the recommended range (<299 mmHg). It’s better to consult a doctor immediately if the blood pressure is above the recommended range and showing an error.
Monitor or Display
The OMRON HEM-7120 BP machine shows you diastolic BP, systolic BP and also pulse rate as shown in the figure. By just tapping the Start/Stop switch, you can get the results. The monitor has a dimension of 103(w) mm * 80(h) mm * 129 (l) mm with liquid Crystal Display (LCD). The reading numbers are large enough to read easily.
Arm cuff of HEM 7120 is made of nylon and polyester which makes it more comfortable while using and the air tube is of polyvinyl chloride. The arm cuff has a dimension of about 22-32 cm approximately. The size of the arm cuff is very important as the reading mainly depends on this. So you must note the size of the arm cuff before ordering it so that it fits in properly in your arm. The device is based on the Intellisense technology which is embedded on the chip present inside the machine and makes the cuff inflation more comfortable.
Air Jack & AC Adapter Jack
For accurate measurements, the air plug needs to put inside the air jack very carefully. You need to purchase the AC adaptor separately having an output voltage of DC 6V and current of 900 mA.
Different websites have slightly different price tags. In my opinion, you can go with Amazon, as its price is comparatively less as compraed to others.
The machine runs on 4 AA batteries and can measure up to 1000 measurements approximately. It can also run on an AC adapter which has to be bought separately.
“OMRON” is the most trusted and the leading brand all over the world. The built quality and the customer service is above expectations.
Omron Hem-7120 fully automatic digital blood pressure monitor comes up with a 5 years warranty and a lifetime support from Omron.
The machine does not have an inbuilt memory and can only store the last BP reading, but you can option to store BP readings by connecting the device with smartphone. You just have to download an app called OMRON Connect from the Google playstore or Apple store and scan the result and it will automatically get stored in your smartphone.
- Pulse Measurement Rate : 40 to 180 beats/min
- Pulse Measurement Accuracy : ±5% of display reading
- Display Mode : LCD Digital Display
- Arm Cuff weight : Approx 1309 gm
- IP Classification : IP20
- Country of Origin : Japan
- Measurement Mode : Oscillometric Method
- Technology : Enhanced Intellisense
- Inflation : Controlled by Electric pump
- Deflation : Automatic pressure release valve
- Cuff/Tube Material : Nylon, Polyester, polyvinyl chloride
- Rating : DC 6V 4W
- Battery Life : Approx 1000 measurements
- Electrical Shock Protection : Internally powered ME equipment
- Battery Power Mode : 4 “AA” Batteries 1.5V
- E1 : Displayed when the air plug is not applied correctly or there is any air leakage from the cuff
- E2 : Displayed if the arm cuff has not expanded correctly
- E3 : Displayed if the arm cuff inflates above 299mmHg
- E4 : Displayed when measurement is taken during movement
- E5 : Displayed when the arm cuff is blocked with cloth
- The product is budget-friendly, easily operable and portable
- Even with regular use, the battery life seems to be very good and can give upto 1000 readings
- Readings are available on the display just by tapping the START/STOP button if the instructions are followed properly
- User manual guideline book is provided along with the product, you can go through it if there is any confusion
- The product has an excellent build quality with sensors
- As the model Omron HEM-7120 is based on oscillometric property, 100% accuracy cannot be achieved
- The AC adapter is not provided with the product, it has to be purchased separately
- Those who have larger arms/biceps, have to buy the larger size cuff separately
- Does not have in built device storage.
It is crucial to protect your machine from external damage, as it is not covered in warranty terms. Here are some of the maintenance tips you can follow:
- Fold the cuff or tubing softly
- Protect the machine from humidity, temperature, moisture or exposure direct sunlight
- Keep the machine away from water and prevent using volatile liquids to clean the monitor
- In case of any dirt particle, use soft cotton materials to brush the litter
- Don’t drop the machine from a height, this will dismantle the embedded chip present in the machine
The OMRON HEM-7120 Digital BP monitor is one the most successful models in the healthcare unit of OMRON. The advanced Intellisense Technology makes this product far better than other Digital BP Monitors as it delivers precise measurements and accurate results. Other than this, the product is pocket friendly and easy to use with One-Touch Operation. Irregular Heartbeat Detection and Hypertension Indicator present in the monitor makes it more accurate.
Though there are better BP Monitoring Machines in terms of design and features, but if you are looking for good product at low price, you can surely go with the OMRON HEM-7120.